Monday 22 May 2017

"Friends" Mixed Media Canvas for Gypsy Soul Lasercuts

Hello crafty folks! We all have special people in our lives, but here are some friends who are so much more than just special-they are extraordinary treasures, and this canvas I created with some beautiful GSL products celebrates them and the amazing bond we have with them.



After I chose the quote, I found a frame that looked beautiful with it (Flourished Frame Valerie Rectangle) then arranged other items on the canvas until I liked the placement.



I then primed the canvas and items with gesso; for flowers it is often best to prime them separately and then attach them to the canvas, as it can be difficult to get full coverage if you can't hold them at different angles while painting.I stenciled with texture paste before priming the canvas as well; even though the homemade texture paste is white, it is more porous than the primed surfaces so would absorb more mist and be darker than the rest. Items with deeper colours might need an extra coat of gesso (like that yellow metal flower!); you want the surface to be pretty much all the same colour before you add mists. 



Often a quote, photo or other image/focal item is added after misting, but if the framing makes it necessary to add it before hand, be sure to mask the item before you mist! Believe me, no matter how careful a person is, there will be overspray if you don't!! (YES, I learned that the hard way!!) I just cut a piece of scrap cardstock to fit the opening.



Misting is fun! I used a couple different shades each of pink and peach, then added some opaque white to tone the colours down a tad. You can dab with a paper towel if the mist pools and looks darker than you'd like also.



I added a few glass bubbles and some pink microbeads. The microbeads don't show up a lot but they do add a little bit of different texture.



I enjoyed putting this project together and hope it gives you some ideas. I love using the lasercut doilies on my mixed media projects to add subtle texture, and there are so many great pieces available  that I'm sure you could create a canvas like this with any theme you wanted. Have a wonderfully creative week!

GYPSY SOUL ITEMS USED

Flourished Frame Valerie Rectangle
Butterflies and Dragonflies
Border Sticks-hearts
Cardstock Doilies (contact store)

OTHER ITEMS USED

Prima stencils
homemade texture paste
glass bubbles
Mister Huey's, Tattered angels and Recollections mists
Misc flowers, buttons, etc
cheesecloth
gesso

No comments:

Post a Comment