Monday, 17 August 2015

Lily-a layout for Gina's Designs and the Robin's Nest

When I saw the warm orange tones in these lovely papers from The Robin's Nest, my very first thought was autumn, but I'm really not quite ready to think about that yet, as I'm still really really enjoying summer. My second thought, though, was my beautiful calico kitty, Lily (short for Princess Tiger Lily) who has a wonderful mix of orange tones in her markings.

I loved that the two sheets of paper were identical except for the shade, so I layered them where the patterns would line up closely, after tearing, distressing and inking the edges (with layers of Ranger ink in Spiced Marmalade and Gathered Twigs)

I wanted to use the Deco Lattice Panel as a frame, but since I didn't want to cover up the gorgeous lattice, I cut it out and used pieces of it as embellishments peeking out from the layers of paper. The frame was painted with acrylics then a design stamped with Versamark ink was added with clear embossing powder. The lattice pieces were painted, then entirely embossed in a clear finish

The cats were painted with acrylics, then rubbed with 3 shades of metallic Gelatos for a "calico" sort of effect-I love these cute kitty shapes!

Stenciling with homemade texture paste , some random strips of punchwork and a few cute flowers just about finished the page...then I added a few Dew Drops from The Robin's Nest and-voila-all done! They're so much fun and come in an amazing variety of colours, along with Dew Dew Glue, which are tiny little adhesive dots made especially for these itty-bitty embellishments.

Thanks heaps for stopping by today; have a wonderful week and I hope you find some time to create!

Gina's Products Used

Robin's Nest Products Used

Sunday, 16 August 2015

fun with Scraps of Elegance

hi! I just got my gorgeous August DT kit from Scraps of Elegance last week and have been enjoying it so much! My first project was a layout with photos taken at Niagara Falls the September before last; I thought the blues and greens in these papers set them off perfectly.

I used homemade texture paste for the stenciling, a little Silks paint for the splashes of bright green (the chipboard was also painted with Silks in Iridescent Green after being primed with blue-white acrylic paint.) I used microbeads on the foam title letters and also added them randomly in little patches on the page.

My second project is an altered birdhouse. I picked it up at Dollarama  ages ago intending to use one of my kits on it, and this one was just perfect with fresh colours and the bird motifs on some of the paper.

I punched scalloped strips for the roof pieces and fussy-cut the birds and butterflies. A little inking, stenciling and die-cutting (leaves) were all I needed to finish the main structure before adding Spanish moss and a few flowers. I have a row of birdhouses above the bay window in my dining room, and this one will fit in perfectly!

Thanks so much for stopping by; I'll be putting at least a couple more projects together with this gorgeous kit, so be sure to visit again! :)