Friday 4 October 2019

Sewing box for Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge Blog

Hello crafty friends! While I'm definitely no expert seamstress, I enjoy sewing now and then, usually making home decor or Christmas items. In the other house, I had a HUGE desk where all my sewing supplies could be easily stored, but I have a little less drawer space now (a LOT less, actually!) so I decided to take a hexagonal hatbox I had in my stash and convert it to a sewing themed storage box.





I had a 7Gypsies  "Gypsy Seamstress" paper pad that I'd been itching to use, and it was perfect for this project. I simply cut 6" strips of one of the papers and wrapped it around the outside, overlapping as needed to make neat seams. I cut out several of the images, which included faux button packages (to which I added real buttons) and lightly distressed and inked the edges of those before attaching and layering them on the six panels of the box.



^ I am madly in love with these teeny tiny scissors! ^







I had some canvas trim and a canvas flower, both natural coloured, so I misted them lightly with a variety of Tattered Angels mists to coordinate with the colours in the papers I had used. There was a sheet of the paper with tape measure/ruler images all over it, so I cut out several of those, whitewashed them with DecoArt Vintage Effects Wash in white to soften the colours a bit. I looped them and glued the ends with hot glue, then attached them under the flower and between the layers to create a bow design, adding mini spools of thread and some pearl-head hatpins , as well as some gathered white tulle.



This was a fun and simple project to put together, and I'm happy to have a decorative place to store my sewing supplies!



I'm so glad you stopped by, and I hope you are able to find some time to play and create this month! Even better, join us in our monthly Mixed Media Challenge-anything goes! You can find it HERE!
Have a wonderful October xoxo

6 comments:

  1. A very pretty sewing box Lynne. Lovely soft colours and fabulous details xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun sewing box you put together 😍😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Sew' fabulous Lynne. Love all your amazing bits and bobs you have added here. Truly fabulous and ever so useful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful decorated box. I love the measuring tape fold in flower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great transformation for the hatbox... I love all the vintage images and sewing ephemera - it's all so pretty.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete