Monday 13 November 2017

"Teacher..." art journal page for Gypsy Soul Lasercuts

Hey crafty folks! Happy November! I've got some Christmas themed projects underway but thought I'd get one more regular project up before I start bombarding you with Jingle Bells and Joy to the World stuff!

This art journal page uses lyrics from a George Michael song that came out when I was just barely out of my teens (yeah, I know I'm dating myself here!) It came to mind recently when I was pondering how difficult some life lessons can be and how I'd really rather not have to go through the experiences necessary to learn them. I think most people can relate to that sentiment at one time or another, and creating this was a form of therapy for me.



I used papers from the Authentique "Curiosity" collection, tearing and collaging them to form the basic background. The collection has the feel of an old-time classroom, so I thought it was perfect for the "Teacher" theme and lyrics...




I painted all the chipboard pieces with red acrylic paint first, using pieces from the Vintage School Set, the Eyeglasses Shape Set and the Scribbled Frames and Lines set.



I then rubbed them with the black ink and silver wax, the apple with much less and the eyeglasses with quite a bit more. Those two pieces were heat-embossed with UTEE, and all the others were brushed with the matte medium to keep the product from rubbing onto the facing page in my art journal.




These two after UTEE was added:



I stencilled with the clear paste then rubbed over the stenciling with the black soot ink when it was dry; the letters and numbers are a Tim Holtz stencil.




I found this word on one of the papers and tore it out separately to use as art of the journaling. Circling it with red pen makes it stand out and adds to the classroom feel.



I added some misting with a couple shades of yellow and some tan and white sprays, then attached the journaling strips which were cut from some of the coordinating paper.

 I did some hand journaling around the edges after this photo was taken, printing in block letters to stay with the theme. Thanks for checking out my page, and may all your visits to the School of Life be happy ones!




GYPSY SOUL ITEMS USED

Vintage School Set (contact store)
Eyeglasses Shape Set
Scribbled Frames and Lines

OTHER ITEMS USED

Authentique Curiosity collection 
Ranger Black Soot Ink
Red acrylic paint
Prima Art Alchemy Metallique Wax-Aged Iron
UTEE (Ultra thick embossing powder)
Ranger transparent gloss texture paste
Ranger Multi Medium Matte
Tim Holtz stencil-Schoolhouse

1 comment: